Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cry me a river. Boo hoo

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I hate people who complain. I really don't dig it hey. Since I have moved to Bangkok, which is, in my opinion, one of the most fascinating and incredible cities on my list, I have met my fair share of complainers. I don't get it. You live in an amazing city where you are greeted with huge smiles and bizarre sights every day. You smell things and taste things that are unique to this insane place. And you also more than likely have one of the best jobs in the country that is strictly reserved for you.



 I don't mean your average social media addicts who feel the need to constantly broadcast how shit their life is with the usual "back to work, hating life right now" type of complaints. I'm talking big time complainers. The kind that makes your eyes bulge and your heart rate increase and your sweat glands over productive. I mean the types of complainers that should ideally work in the line of Customer complaints service, so that any customer that calls them looking for a good rant will be shut down quickly and efficiently and reminded that no matter how bad their problem is with the latest Kenwood toad-in-the-hole-maker, the person on the other end of the line definitely has bigger problems. And, to make matters worse,  probably does not have the luxury of the latest toad-in-the-hole-maker.



Every time I hear somebody starting to complain I wish to say this: "Effectively, you really have nothing to complain about. You are alive, are you not? You have probably eaten three meals today, if not more; you have a roof over your head, and you have family and friends who love you. Just what is so kak about that?

 If you don't like your job, get a new one. If you don't have enough time, stop watching TV. If you're unhappy in your relationship, break up. If you're bored with life, travel. If you're unhappy with your weight, exercise. If you don't have enough money, save. If you don't like your domestic worker because she shits in your toilet,swipes your grandmothers silver ware  and eats all your food, cut her down to only one day per week. (I wouldn't suggest firing her at this point, you may be opening an entirely different can of worms there..) But it's that simple. Life is simple. It doesn't ask much from us. What we do with what we are given is what counts.

 In the wise words of my homey Dr Seuss: "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go".
the man knows his stuff...



I'm not saying that you have to grin and bear it when there is a violent shit storm up ahead. I'm just saying that, sometimes, when things aren't absolutely super, just remember where you are. And what you are doing. And how beautiful everything is around you. And how lucky you are to be alive.
Now stop complaining.
That is all

No comments:

Post a Comment